The idea of providing a building where retired people could meet was developed following a Neighbourhood Care Survey in 1971. This showed that there were many over retirement age who were living
alone in Selsdon. The Neighbourhood Care scheme sponsored by local Churches, had identified a need for a meeting place where local, retired people could meet for company, recreation and friendship.
Between 1974 and 1977, backed by “Help the Aged”, a site was found and many fund raising activities took place to finance the building of the Centre. The very enthusiastic committee was chaired by
the Rev. J H Wilmington, then Vicar of St. John the Divine.
The Selsdon Centre for the Retired was opened on Saturday 21st April 1979 by the Mayor of Croydon. The Centre is a fitting tribute to the vision and dedicated hard work of those who saw the need for such a centre and carried this through to completion.
Above: The original Selsdon Centre for the Retired
The picture taken just before our move to new premises.
Since 2003, the Centre has been housed within the Sainsburys’s shopping complex in Selsdon. These spacious premises provide a light and airy lounge and adjoining dining area. We also have a separate Treatment Room where we offer the service of a hairdresser and podiatry care.
The Selsdon Centre for the Retired
(in the Sainsbury's building)
132 Addington Road
Surrey CR2 8LA
If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:
Tel: 0208 651 1111